Concertisti Classica, la musica classica in Italia
Classical Music in Italy
Cerca
Close this search box.
Brescia
Teatro Grande • Brescia
The Teatro Grande is the main theater of Brescia and originates from the seventeenth-century Accademia degli Erranti. Recognized as a national monument and as a traditional theater, since 2010 it has been managed by the Fondazione del Teatro Grande in Brescia.

Season

The program of the Fondazione del Teatro Grande supports the traditional Opera and Ballet Season, the concert activity - divided into symphonic music, chamber music, baroque and contemporary music, jazz, indie - and contemporary dance proposals, as well as to special projects and cultural events and for the little ones.

The Great Theater of Brescia, with a singular continuity of functions, draws its origins from the seventeenth century Errant Academyi, and rises in the same place where by that institution in 1664 was opened on first public theater in the city.

The vast building of the Teatro Grande, located in the heart of the historic center, has an architecturally complex structure, resulting in over three centuries of adaptations and transformations.

Several theaters have taken place in the area since the first of 1664, to the remaking of 1710, still modest salt, to the sumptuous'New Theater'built over the years 1740, to the 'Great Theater'with the new horseshoe-shaped hall erected in 1810 based on the architect's project Luigi Canonica, then redecorated in 1862 by Girolamo Magnani.

The Teatro Grande, which established itself as the main city theater, acquired growing importance also on a national level during the twentieth century. Recognized and bound as national monument in 1912, in 1970s enters the restricted group of gods Theaters of Tradition Italians.

From the 2010 the Theater is managed by Foundation of the Teatro Grande of Brescia, while the ownership of the building complex has remained for over a century Society of the Teatro Grande.

The Foundation of the Teatro Grande of Brescia  has as its primary objectives the enhancement of tradition, contemporaneity, multidisciplinarity and young people: the idea is that of an open theater that becomes a reference point for the city and for the territory, where different disciplines find space for different audiences, so that the theater is a living and confrontational space.

In recent years, the Foundation has obtained three prestigious awards: the "Dance & Dance Award", Intended for Superintendent Umberto Angelini, the"Abbiati Award for the School”Assigned to the production of children's opera Brimborium! by Mauro Montalbetti and the "Filippo Siebaneck Prize”As part of the Franco Abbiati Awards from Italian music critics for the important educational value of the project Opera Festival.

The Foundation's commitment to the restoration of the Teatro Grande monument and its enhancement from a tourist point of view is also important, as is the commitment to social issues with the creation of innovative support projects.

Teatro Grande • Brescia
L'Academy of the Wanderers, from which the Teatro Grande originates, was established in the first decade of the seventeenth century. He gathered the city nobility in various activities: in addition to equestrian exercise and fencing, dance lessons, mathematics and morals conversations were held. The area where the theater now stands was granted by the Republic of Venice to the Academy which, in 1643, built his headquarters there. The academic building it was made up of the vast upper room, reached by a majestic staircase, and the ground porch of the horsewoman. In 1664, in the space below the Academic Hall, the Wanderers founded the first public theater in Brescia. Redone in 1710, still in modest form, the old theater was demolished to be replaced by the sumptuous'New Theater', erected in the former 1740s, set by Antonio Righini and made by Antonio Cugini, well-known scenographers and theatrical architects of the Bibiena area. The new building was built in the area of the arcade of the horsewoman, abandoning the space used for the previous theaters. The hall had a U-shaped plan with five rows of boxes sloping down towards the proscenium. Between 1760 and 1769 the magnificent was added Reduced, made by the architect Antonio Marchetti as the Academic Hall of the Erranti, and decorated by Venetian painters Francesco Battaglioli is Francesco Zugno. Perhaps one of the most admirable examples of eighteenth-century architectural splendor applied to a performance structure, the Ridotto was the subject of a careful restoration in the years 2013-19. The adjoining rooms they were made about ten years later and decorated by painters Francesco Tellaroli, between 1789 and 1790, and from Brescia Giuseppe Teosa, in 1811, with representations alluding to gambling practiced here in the Napoleonic era. In 1780 a new one was built porch, made by architects Antonio Vigliani is Gaspare Turbini. In 1789, Turbini himself redesigned the facade del Teatro, preserving the pre-existing seventeenth-century work, three large windows on the front towards Corso Zanardelli. There theater hall was once again shot down and rebuilt between 1806 and 1810. Made by the architect Luigi Canonica, one of the major theatrical designers of the time, the current room follows the canons of the Italian theater, with the consolidated "horseshoe" scheme, with dimensions of approximately 22 x 17 m, and develops in height over five orders of arcades. The original neoclassical pictorial decoration of the vault and the parapet of the boxes, the work of Giuseppe Teosa, is unfortunately lost: inspired by Napoleon's victories, the decoration of the vault culminated in its allegorical apotheosis. And the name of the Theater, which is still in use today, is probably due to Napoleon "the Great". The Theater was inaugurated in 1810, with a great opera show set to music for the occasion by Giovanni Simone Mayr, Donizetti's teacher and one of the best-known operas of the time, who in the following April made his debut there "Iphigenia". In 1862 the Parmesan set designer Girolamo Magnani he designed a new decoration of the room, with sumptuous neo-baroque decorations, while the vault was frescoed by the painter Campini. The elaboration of the structure and the definitive image of the Theater ended in the 1930s; from that moment the subsequent interventions concerned almost exclusively restoration works which therefore did not modify the structure of the building.
Contents created with the contribution of the Organization's website
cc_concertisti_classica_g_b_r
ADV-G2
Could it be interesting for you
If you like Teatro Grande • Brescia let your friends know
  • Not to be missed

    Insights

    Concerts

    Opera

    Concert Season

    Festivals

    101st Arena di Verona Opera Festival 2024

    From 7 June to 7 September '24

    Verdi Festival of Parma and Busseto, XXIV Edition

    From 21 September to 20 October '24

    LacMus Festival 2024

    From 9 July to 21 July '24

    Bologna Festival 2024 – 43rd edition

    From 18 March to 6 November '24

    Lucca Classica X edition

    From 24 April Ended 28 April '24

    Contests

    News